Architectural Designer I
NewGround is the industry leader in planning, designing, and building branded spaces for financial institutions, organizations, and retailers. With over 100 years of experience, we align brand, place, and culture in branded spaces across North America. Headquartered in Chicago, IL, NewGround maintains offices in St. Louis, MO, Honolulu, Hawaii, and Waterloo, Ontario, with a regional presence throughout the U.S.
This position is a design team member for the Chicago Architecture and Interior Design Studio. While this position is for a person at the beginning of their career, they are expected to be a collaborative and vital member of the design team. They should be inquisitive, eager to learn and grow their design skills. They will be responsible for their own projects from start to finish so persistence for solving problems, listening to feedback from all team members, and have an ability to pivot quickly from task to task are essential for success. The studio is founded on the idea that what we design is for other people.
- Should be task oriented and works on the design of several projects concurrently. After analyzing problems and briefs, can generate, communicate and present concepts quickly and effectively. Initiates and creates schematic designs and plans with responsibility for the preparation of presentation drawings, models and narratives
- Represents the firm, participating as a key member of business development teams, in presentations to prospective clients
- Coordinates with the engineering disciplines throughout the schematic and design development phases to ensure that the solution accommodates the engineering needs and the owner's program; acts as a mentor to other staff members
- Participate as a team member and help in project development and design issues, including creative and concept development and participate as required for all phases of projects meeting or exceeding the client’s business objectives from programming schematic design and design development, construction documents and construction administration
- Proficient in current version of AutoCAD, Revit, 3D Studio, In-Design, Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch-Up, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook
- Experience working on retail projects, experience with financial institutions a plus
- Understanding and knowledge of building codes and zoning regulations
- Understanding and knowledge of building systems and site requirements
- Develop basic design concept based on program requirements, code constraints and requirements set forth by the Project Architect
- Prepare building design and select building materials to be utilized
- Work closely with the Project Architect and the Estimating Department to hold design within established budget
- Coordinate project design with Interior Designer and Engineering disciplines
- Participate with the Project Manager and/or Senior Designer and estimating department to understand/establish project goals and objectives including but not limited to work plan, schedule and budget parameters
- Attend meetings with clients, consultants, contractors and vendors as delegated
- Participate in existing conditions surveys and architectural base and/or interior record plans preparation
- Assist in or prepare programming questionnaires for use during interview process and set up project files
- Assemble and validate the program data and prepare the program report for review by the Project Architect, Senior Designer, prior to presentation to the client
- Validate and update, as necessary, the programming data
- Develop site plan and floor plan layouts that illustrate the scale and relationship of project commitments and phasing that are responsive to and conform to the program requirements and client’s goals and objectives
- Prepare conceptual design sketches that illustrate the architectural treatment of the space
- Attend client presentations when appropriate
- Research products and systems that accomplish the design intent
- Select and prepare material and finish recommendations and alternatives, including budgets
- Develop plans, elevations and architectural details that illustrate the design intent and use of materials
- Develop and review construction documents, shop drawings, specifications and change order to insure compliance with design intent
- During the construction phase assist in the preparation of document revisions such as addenda, bulletins and clarification sketches
- Assist in the review of the contractor’s submittals for compliance with the design intent
- Assist in review as requested of the production of furniture, millwork and equipment contract shop documents
- During the construction phase attend job site meetings, on “as requested” basis to review elements of the construction and furnishing placement to ensure compliance with the design intent of the approved construction documents
- Participate in the punch list process
Education and Experience Prerequisites
- Minimal travel may be required
- Some client presentations
NewGround requires employees to be vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by date of hire. Proof of vaccination will be required.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture or Architectural Engineering required; Masters preferred
- Revit experience is required
- 0-5+ years of professional experience in commercial (retail/mixed-use)
- LEED AP preferred
- AutoCAD skills preferred
About NewGround Video: https://www.newground.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/NG_2019IdentityVideo_V3_4.mp4
Why Our People Love Working at NewGround:
- NewGround values having fun while doing what you love. That is evidenced by the fact that almost 30 of our 155 employees have been with NewGround for 10 - 38 years.
- We understand the importance of an employee’s first week, first month, and first year. Because of this, we’ve created multiple new-hire experiences, including a special learning program, to help our new hires feel equipped to succeed. Our new team members get the chance to hear the NewGround story from members of the leadership team both, virtually and in person.
- We celebrate many employee milestones, including a ceremony celebrating the day you started with the company and an annual service awards banquet where we provide the opportunity to learn about our fellow team members.
- We recognize how important career development is to our employees and offer opportunities for growth and advancement.
- NewGround recognizes that it’s key to strike a balance between work life and home life and places an emphasis on supporting our employees’ balanced lifestyle.
- We pride ourselves in our commitment to community. Our offices in Chesterfield, Chicago, and Toronto continuously find new ways to get involved whether it be through hosting blood drives, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, building in the Dominican Republic, friendly fundraising competitions across all offices, or through our annual United Way campaign.
- NewGround Glassdoor Reviews
NewGround’s reputation for integrity, creativity, quality, and results is the basis of our renowned status in the industry. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and an outstanding Employee Benefits Package to promote wellness, work/life balance and financial security for our valued team.
Qualified candidates should apply online at https://careers.newground.com/careers/3575-NewGround/jobs/14588401-Architectural-Designer-I/?host=careers.newground.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. WE DO NOT UTILIZE STAFFING SERVICES.
NewGround is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit us at www.newground.com
Chicago | Saint Louis | Honolulu | Toronto