Electrical Design Engineer
NewGround is the industry thought leader in strategy, innovative design, and project management, and has been for over 100 years. We help financial institutions and retailers master the power of their space to create the next generation workplace and retail solutions. Our core values are at the heart of everything we do. We are passionate about serving others. We strive for excellence. We are innovators. We connect and collaborate. We value communication. NewGround's operational headquarters is in Saint Louis, and we maintain offices in Chicago, Honolulu, and Waterloo, Ontario, with a regional presence throughout the U.S. and Canada.
This position’s purpose is the application of engineering fundamentals to design the building’s electrical systems, including but not limited to lighting, power, and special systems. The position will assist with design of assigned projects and prepare electrical construction documents under the supervision of a licensed professional electrical engineer. A successful candidate should have a long-range interest in seeking professional engineering licensure and have already achieved Fundamentals in Engineering (FE) passing exam score.
- Interest in building electrical systems and introductory familiarity with the National Electrical Code (NEC).
- Basic understanding and experience in Microsoft Office toolset (Word and Excel)
- Exposure to CAD software/ systems (REVIT or other BIM software exposure a plus).
- Familiarity with lighting modeling/calculations software (lighting photometric modeling software such as AGI32 or Acuity Visual)
- Prepare working construction document drawings, material listings and specifications
- Review code requirements (i.e. compliance with NEC and energy codes)
- Perform routine design tasks and work on varying portions of projects including: Aid in selection and specification of luminaires, lighting controls, and exterior and interior photometric calculations and energy code compliance calculations and check-lists (i.e. DOE ComCheck or California Title 24 Non-Residential Building Energy Code compliance)
- Provide support for branch circuiting and overcurrent protective device (OCPD) and cable selection and sizing per the National Electrical Code and in-house minimum design standards
- Provide support for researching local jurisdictional requirements and Utility service configuration compliance requirements on a per project basis
- Work closely with the Project Architect and Estimating Department to hold design within established budget
- Coordinate project design with Architectural, Interior Design and other Engineering disciplines
- Check shop drawings and prepare Architectural Supplemental Instructions (ASI) and Addenda as well as respond to RFIs
- Maintain project files and pertinent communications archives.
- Attend field visits, as required (i.e. pre-site survey for remodels and/or project final punch)
- Input of data into pre-written computer programs (i.e. Microsoft Excel calculation tools)
- Continuously seek continuing education opportunities and self-study electrical building systems design trade articles, attend seminars, and gain qualifying experience, under supervising professional engineer, to qualify to sit for professional licensure exam.
Education And Experience Prerequisites:
- Complete job assignments on time and efficiently
- Balance numerous projects simultaneously
- Be receptive to mentoring from associate team members and have positive, collaborative dialogue with other disciplines in executing each project.
- Be diligent, with a driven work ethic but balanced with daily personal life goals and events
- Stay current on emerging technologies & solutions
NewGround requires employees to be vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by date of hire. Proof of vaccination will be required.
- A Bachelor of Science from ABET-accredited college in Electrical Engineering or Architectural Engineering is required as a minimum. However, more experienced Electrical Designers without a formal 4-year related college degree may be considered with a min. 10 years of experience in electrical facilities system design.
- 4 years minimum experience in facilities & building electrical power & lighting systems design (architectural engineering project work may qualify).
St. Louis, MO
About NewGround Video
Why Our People Love Working at NewGround:
- NewGround values having fun while doing what you love. That is evidenced by the fact that more than 30 of our 140 employees have been with NewGround for 10 - 38 years.
- We understand the importance of an employee’s first week, first month, and first year. Because of this, we’ve created multiple new-hire experiences, including a special learning program, to help our new hires feel equipped to succeed. Our new team members get the chance to hear the NewGround story from members of the leadership team both, virtually and in person.
- We celebrate many employee milestones, including a ceremony celebrating the day you started with the company and an annual service awards banquet where we provide the opportunity to learn about our fellow team members.
- We recognize how important career development is to our employees and offer opportunities for growth and advancement.
- NewGround recognizes that it’s key to strike a balance between work life and home life and places an emphasis on supporting our employees’ balanced lifestyle.
- We pride ourselves in our commitment to the community. Our offices in Chesterfield, Chicago, and Toronto continuously find new ways to get involved whether it be through hosting blood drives, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, building in the Dominican Republic, friendly fundraising competitions across all offices, or through our annual United Way campaign.
NewGround’s reputation for integrity, creativity, quality, and results is the basis of our renowned status in the industry. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and an outstanding Employee Benefits Package to promote wellness, work/life balance and financial security for our valued team.
Qualified candidates should apply online at https://careers.newground.com/careers/3575-NewGround/jobs/14466453-Electrical-Design-Engineer/?host=careers.newground.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. WE DO NOT UTILIZE STAFFING SERVICES.
NewGround is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit us at www.newground.com
Chicago | Saint Louis | Honolulu | Toronto
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks and duties may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be required. This document does not create an employment contract. Employees are employed on an “at will” basis and may be terminated at any time for any reason or no reason at all.