Director of Design
NewGround is a leading global company that imagines, designs, and implements retail and corporate environments that drive competitive advantage. For 106 years, NewGround has excelled in Design/Build. We are a cutting edge, international award-winning design firm.
(This position is NOT an Art /Creative Director or Graphic Design Director type role. This is an Architectural Design Director)
Located in our newly renovated St. Louis office, the Director of Design will lead our Project Architects, Designer/Planners and support our Environmental Design Team. The Director of Design is fundamental in establishing design excellence principles in an environment which inspires design talent to excel. Our mission is to build a world class design team focused on retail and corporate workplace strategies. The Director of Design will be a strategic thinker and thought leader and have the passion and energy to advance our highly successful Design/Delivery practice into an innovative Design firm. The Director of Design will also lead NewGround’s international focus in the financial services sector. The Director of Design should be an experienced, registered design professional with a strong background in generating and translating concepts into final solutions, in directing a project design team and in presenting solutions to clients.
- Retail and Corporate workplace strategist
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Photoshop, and Illustrator is required
- Working knowledge of Revit and 3D Modeling software desired
- Experience integrating and coordinating all disciplines into the building project
- Good design skills in all phases of design
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Knowledge of building materials, specification and construction techniques
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects
- Desire to participate in securing new clients by supporting our Business Development team
- Assumes the primary responsibility for the development of the design strategy and concepts during the programming through design development phases of the project; participates in key meetings with clients on high-profile projects
- Assist in the development of the company’s desire to grow our Design practice through working with the marketing and branding teams to reposition of the company as an innovative design firm.
- Become the company’s primary voice for design related thought leadership inclusive of speaking at national and international conferences, writing design related articles and being a design industry resource subject matter expert.
- Support business development and marketing in the development of proposals, capabilities and design presentations.
- Work with other NewGround team members to produce quality design within the parameters set forth by the client’s goals and budget.
- Provide direction and leadership to all direct reporting staff members.
Education and Experience Prerequisites:
- Travel up to 50%
- Strong team player
- High level of conceptual design talent
- Energy - passion
- Architectural registration required
- Bachelor of Architecture degree or higher required
- Master’s degree in Architecture or related field preferred
- 10-15 years of professional experience leading Design teams for commercial Architecture & Development Revit experience is required
- LEED accreditation is preferred
- NCARB Registration preferred
St. Louis, MO (Chesterfield)
Why Our People Love Working at NewGround:
- NewGround values having fun while doing what you love. That is evidenced by the fact that almost 30 of our 135 employees have been with NewGround for 10 - 38 years.
- We understand the importance of an employee’s first week, first month, and first year. Because of this, we’ve created multiple new-hire experiences, including a special learning program, to help our new hires feel equipped to succeed. Our new team members get the chance to hear the NewGround story from members of the leadership team both, virtually and in person.
- We celebrate many employee milestones, including a ceremony celebrating the day you started with the company and an annual service awards banquet where we provide the opportunity to learn about our fellow team members.
- We recognize how important career development is to our employees and offer opportunities for growth and advancement.
- NewGround recognizes that it’s key to strike a balance between work life and home life and places an emphasis on supporting our employees’ balanced lifestyle.
- We pride ourselves in our commitment to community. Our offices in Chesterfield, Chicago, and Toronto continuously find new ways to get involved whether it be through hosting blood drives, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, building in the Dominican Republic, friendly fundraising competitions across all offices, or through our annual United Way campaign.
- NewGround Reviews on Glassdoor
NewGround’s reputation for integrity, creativity, quality, and results is the basis of our renowned status in the industry. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and an outstanding Employee Benefits Package to promote wellness, work/life balance and financial security for our valued team.
Qualified candidates should email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply apply online at http://careers.newground.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. WE DO NOT UTILIZE STAFFING SERVICES.
NewGround is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit us at www.newground.com
Chicago | Saint Louis | Honolulu | Toronto