Construction Superintendent (San Jose, CA)
NewGround is an experiential design-build architectural and construction management firm that specializes in creating custom financial, healthcare, retail and corporate facilities. Using our in-depth strategic process, we work to align a client’s new building with their brand and their culture. We believe that structure without strategic purpose is just windows and walls, and that a beautiful building is measured by how beautifully it functions.
We look in, then build up.
The Superintendent provides on-site direction for all aspects of construction for their assigned project. Required skills include knowledge of materials, methods, processes, procedures and equipment involved in the construction of buildings and related site work. Manage project costs to insure completion within budget expectations. Work with Construction Manager and Project Scheduler to develop the project schedule in critical path steps and budget time required to meet deadlines. Inspect and review project construction in progress to enforce compliance with plans, specifications, quality expectations, building and safety codes. Schedule and direct all subcontractors and vendors through all activities to full completion of the project. Hold extensive knowledge of principles and processes for providing client satisfaction in meeting and preferably exceeding quality, cost and schedule expectations. Work directly with Construction Manager and the “Build” Team through the entire project construction process
- Strong ability to read and understand plans and specifications, as well as, a comprehensive knowledge of commercial construction means, methods and best practices and related systems
- Ability to schedule projects in “Critical Path” progression and budget time required to meet milestones and deadlines
- Interpret and clarify plans, specifications and contract terms to subcontractors professionally
- Draft and submit subcontracts, purchase orders, subcontractor change orders to Construction Manager for release
- Generate client change order drafts for Construction Manager’s review, approval and release
- Assist Construction Manager in developing project budgets, estimates and progress billings including cost tracking reports
- Evaluate plans, specifications and related construction documents for “Constructability”
- Work with Construction Manager to develop responses to mitigate weather or environmental delays
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good leadership skills
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and Project. Proficiency in ProCore is preferred however not necessary
- Manage all on site construction related activities, subcontractors and vendors
- Prepare purchase order and subcontract drafts for Construction Manager approval
- Purchase and schedule all long lead items
- Obtain all project related permits and licenses from AHJ’s
- Ensure SWPP and environmental requirements are met
- Review and approve subcontractor and vendor pay requisitions and submit to Construction Manager for final approval
- Schedule delivery and sequence of project materials and work
- Hold weekly site safety meetings, create agenda and publish minutes of meetings
- Hold weekly subcontractor site meetings, create agenda and publish minutes of meetings
- Hold weekly Client update meetings, create agenda and publish minutes of meetings
- Enforce subcontractor compliance with building and safety codes from all Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ’s), implement on site quality control and adherence to plans and specifications
- Proficient in providing assistance to the team as they develop project budget and schedule
- Document project progress in Procore and provide updates for schedule updates
- Complete and submit all field required reports and logs as required
- Take all site progress photos and post in Procore
- Must be able to successfully manage the budget and schedule of project
- Perform all other related work, as assigned or as apparent
- Ensure regular communications with Construction Manager and project team
- Inform Construction Manager and project team of design, cost or schedule related items
- Maintain strong client relationship and communicate project status effectively
- Coordinate with A/E team
- Construction quality control expert
- Prepare reports for internal and external communications as requested
- Report project status to Construction Manager as required
- Complete project punch list and close out procedures on or ahead of schedule
- Participate in internal kick-offs/brainstorming and project debriefs
- Communicate with internal and external project team effectively
- Support construction team as needed to insure project success
- Communicate design or material delivery issues to insure no impact to schedule or cost
- Report significant project related issues to Construction Manager in a timely manner
- Communicate with everyone on a professional level
- Willing to work the hours needed and/or required
- Maintain positive can-do attitude, be self-motivated
- Willing to accept all project assigned work
- Able to multi-task as required
- Exceed Client expectations
- Report project status to Client and Construction Manager
- Complete project on-time, on-budget and within NewGround’s high quality expectations
Education and/or Experience Prerequisites:
** We seek traveling Superintendents with experience in on-site, ground-up, high-end interior/exterior, and multi-story commercial construction, who are willing to travel to the next project once completed. If you do not possess this experience, please do not apply. **
- 5+ years of commercial construction Superintendent experience is required
- Ground-up commercial with high end interior/exterior finishes is required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction related field is preferred; commensurate construction related experience will be considered
- Willing to travel to new project locations after construction is complete if necessary
- Additional consideration given to LEED AP and other construction industry certifications
Location: First project is in San Jose and is ready to start within weeks. Subsequent project locations are upcoming in CA, HI, OK, KS, TX. We have other projects coming in the bay area which include a second and third project in San Jose, a fourth project in downtown San Francisco, as well as other projects not yet in design. We seek travelling Superintendents. If project timing allows, this position will be serving projects in the San Francisco bay area and surrounding communities. There is a 50% chance the Superintendent will need to travel to other project locations outside the bay area or state to continue their employment. Those other projects could be in California however may also be in any of the western United States. Travel and travel related expenses are paid by NewGround and if assigned to a project away from your home, provisions for regular trips home during some weekends are also included.
NewGround’s operational headquarters are in Chesterfield, MO, with principal offices in Chicago, IL; Atlanta, GA; Portsmouth, NH and Ontario, Canada. We also have 14 employees currently living/working in California and Hawaii. Our Vice President of Construction, and Regional Vice President for the Western Region live and work in the San Francisco bay area as well as one of our Construction Managers. We have two Superintendents working on our project for SF Police Credit Union in San Bruno, CA. We have two Superintendents, a project engineer and a project administrator working on our Logix FCU project in Valencia, CA. We have a Construction Manager and Regional Vice President working out of San Diego. We have a Regional Vice President in Seattle Washington, and a Project Manager, Superintendent and Construction Manager working in Hawaii.
NewGround’s reputation for integrity, creativity, quality, and results is the basis of our renowned status in the industry since 1913. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and an outstanding Employee Benefits Package to promote wellness, work/life balance and financial security for our valued team including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision plans,
- 401K Retirement Plan with company match
- Life insurance - company paid with buy-up option
- Long and Short-term Disability
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays
- Weekly cost of living allowance (for out of town assignments)
Qualified candidates should email resume and project list to email@example.com or apply online at http://careers.newground.com.
Click this link to view our…About NewGround Video
Why Our People Love Working at NewGround:
- We provide a comprehensive total compensation package with benefits.
- NewGround values having fun while doing what you love—that’s evidenced by the fact that we have over 50 employees that have been with the company for over 10 years. Our Vice President of Construction for the Western Region (Eric Preuss), lives and works in the bay area and on February 4th will celebrate his 20th year with NewGround.
- We understand the importance of an employee’s first week, first month, and first year. Because of this, we’ve created multiple new-hire experiences, including a special learning program, to help our new hires feel equipped to succeed. Our new team members get the chance to hear the NewGround story from members of the leadership team both, virtually and in person.
- We celebrate many employee milestones, including a ceremony celebrating the day you started with the company and an annual service awards banquet where we provide the opportunity to learn about our fellow team members.
- We recognize how important career development is to our employees and offer opportunities for growth and advancement.
- NewGround recognizes that it’s key to strike a balance between work life and home life and places an emphasis on supporting our employees’ balanced lifestyle.
- We pride ourselves in our commitment to community. Our offices in St. Louis, Atlanta, and Portsmouth, and our team in California and Hawaii continuously find new ways to get involved whether it be through hosting blood drives, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, friendly fundraising competitions across all offices, or through our annual United Way campaign.
No phone calls please. We do not utilize the services of search firms.
NewGround is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visit us at:
NewGround - www.NewGround.com