Senior Accountant (construction)
NewGround is an experiential design-build firm that specializes in creating custom financial, healthcare and corporate facilities. Using our in-depth strategic process, we work to align a client’s new building with their brand and their culture. We believe that structure without strategic purpose is just windows and walls, and that a beautiful building is measured by how beautifully it functions.
We look in, then build up.
Our Senior Accountant performs various accounting functions primarily related to Construction Project Accounting, as well as general accounting supporting multiple companies. This position addresses a multitude of accounting activities including processing and reconciliation of construction subcontractor and purchase order payment requests, biweekly payroll and related 401k reporting, and accounts receivable.
- 5 + years of experience in corporate environment working as an accountant
- Strong self-directed communication skills, both written and verbal, as you will have contact with senior-level managers, project managers, and other accountants
- Experience with reconciling to general ledger accounts
- Construction and Percent Complete experience preferred, including retention, and cost codes
- Experience working with subcontractors is highly desirable
- Weekly processing of construction subcontractor/purchase order invoices in accounting system and check distribution
- Tracking and reconciliation of subcontract agreements, gross billing, retention withheld, and net payments with budget numbers
- Prepare monthly accounts receivable invoices. Monthly reconciliation of all A/R invoices input in accounting system
- Review and correct weekly timesheets for two companies. Input and submit biweekly payroll through Paylocity
- Assimilate timesheet data and prepare monthly Chargeability Reports for three entities
- Reconcile project costs from project module to general ledger
- Maintain various Excel reports
- Provide back up to Staff Accountant for processing accounts payable checks for all companies
- Perform all other related work, as assigned or as apparent[i]
- Must have good communications skills and be self-motivated
- Must be an advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL or other large ERP automated accounting system
- Experience with Paylocity or other large automated payroll system a plus
- Ability to multi-task is essential
- Professional & Positive Behavior
- Customer Service Attitude
- Focus on Accuracy and Deadlines
- Teamwork Mentality
- Construction project thinking attitude
- Think out-of-the-box approach
- Bachelor’s degree in Account or Business required
- 5+ years’ experience in Accounting working as an Accountant
Chicago, IL (currently in Arlington Heights, but will be moving downtown around Q3)
NewGround’s operational headquarters are in Chesterfield, MO, with principal offices in Chicago, IL; Atlanta, GA; Portsmouth, NH and Ontario, Canada.
About NewGround Video
Why Our People Love Working at NewGround:
- We provide a comprehensive total compensation package with benefits.
- NewGround values having fun while doing what you love—that’s evidenced by the fact that we have over 50 employees that have been with the company for over 10 years.
- We understand the importance of an employee’s first week, first month, and first year. Because of this, we’ve created multiple new-hire experiences, including a special learning program, to help our new hires feel equipped to succeed. Our new team members get the chance to hear the NewGround story from members of the leadership team both, virtually and in person.
- We celebrate many employee milestones, including a ceremony celebrating the day you started with the company and an annual service awards banquet where we provide the opportunity to learn about our fellow team members.
- We recognize how important career development is to our employees and offer opportunities for growth and advancement.
- NewGround recognizes that it’s key to strike a balance between work life and home life and places an emphasis on supporting our employees’ balanced lifestyle.
- We pride ourselves in our commitment to community. Our offices in St. Louis, Atlanta, and Portsmouth continuously find new ways to get involved whether it be through hosting blood drives, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, friendly fundraising competitions across all offices, or through our annual United Way campaign.
NewGround’s reputation for integrity, creativity, quality, and results is the basis of our renowned status in the industry. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and an outstanding Employee Benefits Package to promote wellness, work/life balance and financial security for our valued team.
Qualified candidates should email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply apply online at http://careers.newground.com/index.php?m=portal&a=details&jobOrderID=9134585
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. WE DO NOT UTILIZE STAFFING SERVICES.
NewGround is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit us at www.NewGround.com.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks and duties may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be required. This document does not create an employment contract. Employees are employed on an “at will” basis and may be terminated at any time for any reason or no reason at all.