Director of Architecture Design
NewGround is a leading company that imagines, designs, and implements retail and corporate environments for financial services companies that drive growth and competitive advantage. For 105 years, NewGround has been the provider of innovative solutions, helping organizations evolve and advance by focusing on the design and delivery of dynamic customer and employee experiences, both in the physical spaces and virtual platforms.
We look in, then build up.
Position Description: This is NOT a Creative Director role. It is a Director of Architecture Design.
Located in our new design studio in downtown Chicago, the Director of Design will lead our Project Architects, Designer/Planners and support our Environmental Design Team. The Director of Design is fundamental in establishing design excellence principles in an environment which inspires design talent to excel. Our mission is to build a world class design team focused on retail and corporate workplace strategies. The Director of Design will be a strategic thinker and thought leader and have the passion and energy to advance our highly successful Design/Build practice into an innovative Design firm. The Director of Design will also lead NewGround’s international focus in the financial services sector. The Director of Design should be an experienced, registered design professional with a strong background in generating and translating concepts into final solutions, in directing a project design team and in presenting solutions to clients.
- Retail and Corporate workplace strategist
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Photoshop, and Illustrator is required
- Working knowledge of Revit and 3D Modeling software desired
- Sufficient knowledge of engineering disciplines to evaluate and coordinate consultant work
- Experience integrating and coordinating all disciplines into the building project
- Good design skills in all phases of design
- Public speaking experience
- Knowledge of building materials, specification and construction techniques
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects
- Assumes the primary responsibility for the development of the design strategy and concepts during the programming through design development phases of the project; participates in the preparation of details, furniture and fixtures and has oversight of construction documents
- Assist in the development of the company’s Design Only initiative including working with the marketing and branding teams to reposition of the company as an innovative design firm
- Become the company’s primary voice for design related thought leadership inclusive of speaking at national and international conferences, writing design related articles and being a design industry resource subject matter expert
- Support business development and marketing in the development of proposals, capabilities and design presentations
- Work with other NewGround team members to produce quality design within the parameters set forth by the client’s goals and budget
- Provide direction and leadership to all direct reporting staff members
- Travel up to 50%
- Strong team player
- High level of conceptual design talent
Education and Experience Prerequisites:
* This is not a Creative Director or Graphic Design role. It is an Architectural Director of Design. Please do not apply if you are not an Architect with commercial building experience.*
- Architectural registration required
- Bachelor of Architecture degree or higher required
- Master’s degree in Architecture or related field preferred
- 10-15 years of professional experience is required
- Additional experience including leading Design teams for commercial Architecture & Development including construction document preparation and field observation is preferred
- Revit experience is required
- Ability to be self-certified in the city of Chicago is required
- LEED accreditation is preferred
- NCARB Registration preferred
- Multiple State Architectural Licenses preferred
NewGround’s headquarters is in Chicago with principal offices in Saint Louis, MO, Atlanta, GA, Portsmouth, NH, Honolulu, HI and Ontario, Canada.
About NewGround Video www.newground.com/about
Why Our People Love Working at NewGround:
- We provide a comprehensive total compensation package with benefits.
- NewGround values having fun while doing what you love—that’s evidenced by the fact that we have over 50 employees that have been with the company for over 10 years.
- We understand the importance of an employee’s first week, first month, and first year. Because of this, we’ve created multiple new-hire experiences, including a special learning program, to help our new hires feel equipped to succeed. Our new team members get the chance to hear the NewGround story from members of the leadership team both, virtually and in person.
- We celebrate many employee milestones, including a ceremony celebrating the day you started with the company and an annual service awards banquet where we provide the opportunity to learn about our fellow team members.
- We recognize how important career development is to our employees and offer opportunities for growth and advancement.
- NewGround recognizes that it’s key to strike a balance between work life and home life and places an emphasis on supporting our employees’ balanced lifestyle.
- We pride ourselves in our commitment to community. Our offices in St. Louis, Atlanta, and Portsmouth continuously find new ways to get involved whether it be through hosting blood drives, building homes with Habitat for Humanity, friendly fundraising competitions across all offices, or through our annual United Way campaign.
NewGround’s reputation for integrity, creativity, quality, and results is the basis of our renowned status in the industry. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and an outstanding Employee Benefits Package to promote wellness, work/life balance and financial security for our valued team.
Qualified candidates should email resume to email@example.com or simply apply online at http://careers.newground.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. WE DO NOT UTILIZE STAFFING SERVICES.
NewGround is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visit us at www.newground.com.